Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Week in Running


It's go time. This week marks six more until Boston. This is not just the hardest time in training but the most dangerous. It's hardest because I'm now nine weeks into training. That's a lot of accumulated miles -- 337 miles since Jan 1 to be exact. After easing up last week, I returned to "high" mileage. I use quotation marks because a 50-mile week running isn't really high mileage, but it's my limit right now. It's enough to be hard and get me in pretty good shape. That brings me to the dangerous part. With all those miles and hard workouts, my body is at danger of breaking down and succumbing to injury. Training is always like that. I remember back to when I first injured my Achilles. I was running great, really nailing workouts and just finished a 70-mile week. That's when things fell apart. I'm not going to let that happen again. So I'm stepping back a bit this week. My Achilles is achy, and I don't want to push it too much. If that means sacrificing two minutes in Boston, I'm OK with that. I have some travel coming up that will make training hard. This weekend I'll be in Austin for South by Southwest. Then, next weekend, I leave for Paris for five days. I'm looking forward to both trips, although I'm a little worried about getting in miles. I love running in other cities. It's such a wonderful way to see them.


8 comments:

runner-grrl said...

Brian, I'll be there in Hopkington myself! I'm hopeful that I'll toe the line uninjured (despite a nasty spill on Friday). But, I know what you mean. Everything comes down to training hard in the next three weeks, but not overdoing it. And then not screwing it up for the following three. This will be my first Boston marathon, and I'm really looking forward to it. I've decided it probably isn't a PR race for me, even though I'm in "PR" shape. The course is that much more difficult that my PR last year (Chicago). Hope to pull off a splendid PR in October instead. Best wishes for you and Boston! Hang in there with all the travel. --Alex

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Anonymous said...

good morning people. I'm really into shoes and I have been digging for that particular make. The prices due to the fact that the shoes were about 180 pounds everwhere. But for all I found this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase them. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

good day everyone. I'm honestly into shoes and I was digging for the sake of that particular brand. The prices for the velcros are around 210 dollars on every page. But completely I found this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

i easily love all your posting kind, very remarkable,
don't quit and also keep penning simply because it just simply truly worth to follow it.
looking forward to browse more of your posts, cheers!

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Understandably your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats off to you post, intention look audacious for the duration of more cognate articles without delay as its anecdote of my pick subject-matter to read.