Sunday, November 30, 2008

Moving Forward

I've gotten over the disappointment of not running Philly. My main concern now is getting back to running. I miss it. My problem: I don't know what to do. For the past three-plus weeks, I've basically stopped running. This is starting to drive me batty. But I'm trying to listen to my body, something I clearly failed to do initially. My Achilles still hurts. It's not a pain that causes me to limp, but it's a dull ache that's greater in the morning or when I've been sitting for a period of time. Dr. Pribut has always been my main source for injury advice. His take is interesting: he doesn't counsel completely ceasing running and recommends against stretching. At this point, I don't know what to do. Part of me is scared to run. I went out for a run 10 days ago that was OK, nothing terrible. But I don't want to end up running 20 miles a week and never getting better. My impulse is to find some cross-training activity and take a break from running for December. This means getting over my gym-phobia and accepting I'll lose quite a bit of running fitness. The other alternative is to bite the bullet and visit a doctor, another course of action I'm not crazy about.

3 comments:

JPS said...

I think you might want to consider finding a good sports medicine clinic - the doctor may be overkill, and they generally can't do much for this type of injury anyway. The sports med guys can recommend the right PT and a course of action to get back to normal.

Anonymous said...

Yes, sports med guy is the way to go. I just saw my sports med doc, he told me I'd ruptured a tendon in my ankle, and sure it was fine to keep running, so long as I was careful, go in a straight line and do PT. Done.

You're going to have to get an MRI, just deal with it and move on. ;)



fxs

rUntoNamAste said...

Hi there, just stumbled across your blog. Sorry to hear about your injury. I guess it goes with out saying how much they suck! Have you ever tried Bikram Yoga? I'm injury prone - stress fractures in both shins and tendinitis in my right knee - and I can't tell you how much progress I've made ever since I started practicing BY. Even my orthopedist is quite pleased. Worth a try if you haven't already. Good luck!