Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Way Ahead

I haven't updated the blog much lately, mostly because it's about running and I haven't been running. To be precise, my last run was on the morning of Election Day. That night, I came around to the realization my Achilles is injured. Ever since then, I've missed running. I hate it when I can't run. But I know I need to heal. Everything I read about Achilles injuries is scary. After 12 days of not running, I needed to know what was up. I can't say that I don't have pain after all that time off. I do. So today, along the Bay Trail in San Mateo, I set out on a 5.5 mile run. The first half mile was not good. I felt like my gait was different. Every step hurt. I felt like I was trying to find a way to land my foot that was comfortable. Eventually, I warmed up and completed the run without much drama. It wasn't the best run I've done by far, and I do feel some lost fitness from all the time off, but it wasn't excruciating. My verdict is mixed. I know my Achilles won't be right by Sunday. That's impossible. The question is whether I risk damaging it more by running a marathon or just skip the race. My head says the the latter choice is best, maybe split the difference and find a marathon somewhere in early January. But I don't want to do that. I have a good sense of what's wrong for my body. I think I can run the marathon without doing any long-term damage. Will I break three hours? I honestly don't think so. I'm simply not running confidently. My goal is to accept the race as it is on that day and try to do the best possible under the circumstances.

5.5 miles, 44:37

4 comments:

Greg On the Run said...

Glad you were able to get out there and run. You obviously greatly missed being out there on the road. I'm thinking that if you're willing to set your 3-hour time goal aside then you also need to be ready accept a DNF if you the achilles gets worse when you're racing. Don't push the Achilles - it takes a long time to heal.

Unknown said...

my vote is that you sit this one out. sign up for another and go for sub-3 hours which was the goal all along. i'm sure all the work you've done along the way will be there once you heal properly. why risk LT injury? BTW, jack thinks so too. we're coming out to see you, not see you race.

JPS said...

I think in the unfortunate instance you don't run, you have a very substantial base period and now a rest period. The next objective, whatever/whenever it is, will be more easily achieved- I think you could surprise yourself w/ how fast you'd be in the next cycle.

The Laminator said...

Best of luck on your race. I'd say to test it out at the start and see what happens. Run conservatively and keep an open mind. Good luck.