Saturday, January 24, 2009

Recovery Update

There is so much denial tied up in injuries. It took me too long to accept my Achilles problem. Even after realizing I'd miss Philly, I held out hope of running a winter marathon and then Boston. I came around to the seriousness of the Achilles problem only gradually. Right now, I'm at the point where I just want to get better, while getting back into a regular running pattern. Bit by bit, I'm getting there. This week, I'm on pace to run 26 miles, including my first hourlong run in three months. The downside: I run very slowly. How slow? Today's pace was 8:39. Still, I'm happy to run five times a week and start to again have a "long" run. Today's seven miles will become eight next week, and I'll go from there. I won't run a winter or spring marathon with an eye toward getting healthy to train hard again for the fall.

7 miles, 1:00:35

3 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

My "long" runs are only 5 miles these days... I am trying not to overdo it so my plantar fasciitis doesn't come back but it is hard to hold back!

Greg On the Run said...

You are absolutely doing things the right way - come back slow and steady. Pay attention to every tweak of pain or imbalance in your Achilles. Doesn't mean you need to change your forward momentum but you need to really listen to the body talk to you in the problem areas.

Your slow runs would be my fast runs but I'll get there one day.

Brian Morrissey said...

thanks for the encouragement. i know i shouldn't complain, particularly about my time. it's hard to get used to running appreciably slower, though. i'm trying to listen as much as possible to my body while realizing that it won't feel 100% for some time.