Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Lunatic vs Pigdog

Even as a distance runner, I have to admit there's something creepy about a part of the ultra crowd. One of the four DVDs I own is Running on the Sun, which profiles a bunch of participants in the Badwater Ultra, a 135-mile race through Death Valley. Not my cup of tea, but I admire the people that do it, particularly after Stroh of Arabia and I met Rudy Afanardor, a Badwater runner-up and Cirulnick-Inamarato winner. I don't dig the gimmick crowd, like Robert Garside, who has been certified by the Guinness Book of World Records for "running around the world" over four years. He apparently obtained a Venezuelan bride along the way. As With Leather points out, Garside has plenty of persuasiv doubters. I admire what the RuntheUSA guys did a few years back, but this guy I find creepy. He's a little too John Mark Carr for my tastes.

5.75 miles, 45:16

No comments: