Friday, April 6, 2007

Chasing Kimbia

The Kenyans amaze me. Seeing them run up close, during the NYC Marathon, is breathtaking. Knowing they finish marathons an hour before me is humbling. There are some who think the Kenyans' dominance hurts the sport, at least in the U.S. Marketing-wise, I'm sure it would help to have a running Lance. But the Kenyans win because they outwork everyone. (Floyd Landis, assuming he wasn't doping out the yingyang, had an interesting take on this: "There's only one rule: The guy who trains the hardest, the most, wins. Period. Because you won't die. Even though you feel like you'll die, you don't actually die.") That's why I'm so interested in Chasing Kimbia, a Web film project that follows a bunch of Kenyan marathoners as they train. The guys are all New Balance athletes, and these short videos are the kind of marketing that strikes me as the future.

5.75 miles, 47:02 (I blame a non-Kimbia diet today of breakfast burrito, two slices of pepperoni pizza and four Munchkins -- not the Kenyan way, for sure)

No comments: