Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Run Easy?


Reebok's got a new ad campaign out for its running line. It's taking a very interesting approach, basically conceding the serious runner market for a much larger one, casual runners. I've got no beef with this, since the Second Running Boom is more about health and participation than performance. Outdoor ads say things like, "Why Hit the Wall? It Hurts." Also: "Run + Puke + Run = Crazy." I saw one on the way home that urged me not to try for a personal record. To me, the whole thing celebrates mediocrity. Not mediocrity in the sense that some people are slow, but mediocrity by endorsing not really trying. Maybe it's not cool to try -- ads show runners at the end of marathons in agony, a totally unsexy look, I guess. To be honest, the first time I saw it, I thought it was cool, not pathetic. My favorite place at the NYC Marathon is along Fifth Avenue, at about mile 21. I like to stay there late, past the 3 and 4 hour marathoners. The people who will come in at 5 hours look like crap. I mean, there's no other way to say it. But there's so determined because they're about to accomplish something important to them. At least we know Reebok's on the pigdog's side. Maybe they'll give endorsement deals to those British sailors back from Iran.

5.75 miles, 45:10

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree w/you. Heck, I bought my first road bike after watching Floyd hit the wall at last year's Tour. It's what inspires me for my first ride next month!

And yes, I believe in his innocence 100%...and JPS does too after meeting him!

Brian Morrissey said...

Yes, again assuming he wasn't totally doped up, Floyd is a perfect example of the anti-"Run Easy" messaging. I believe his motto for the stage after the bonk was "Go Apeshit."