Saturday, April 14, 2007

Going Long

Thanks to a stop on the Burger Tour on Thursday (Stand, so-so, certainly not burger nirvana) and late news on Friday, I wasn't able to run Thursday and Friday. The good part is I was well rested for my long run. One of the best parts of long runs is seeing the random stuff along the way, checking the progress of the Hudson River Park construction or the oddity that is the Gehry IAC building. I felt good the first half of the run, getting down to about the midway point of Battery Park in 56 minutes, then turning for the run home into a little headwind. One problem: I brought only $3 and one gel. I used $1.75 for a Gatorade, then found that the Parks Dept. hasn't turned on the water fountains yet, even those that are freeze proof, leaving me without enough money to buy water from a vending machine. I considered how potable the water is from the Greenwich Village park bathrooms. I thought better. So I stopped at the Nike Running Center, just south of Chelsea. Sure enough, they had water for $1 that helped wash down Gu. That hit the spot and made for an easy trip back uptown. I felt like going longer, but thought it best to stop.

15 miles, 1:54:23.

No comments: