Saturday, May 5, 2007

The Curveball

I neglected one thing in my breakneck prep for the Delaware Marathon: registering. I didn't for the first couple of weeks because, honestly, I wasn't sure if my body would be into upping my mileage that quickly. The last two weeks, I've just been really busy and put it off. Today, when I went to the site to finally register, I saw "SOLD OUT." Gulp. I emailed the race director, Wayne, explaining that Stroh of Arabia was coming back for the race from the front lines of the GWOT. He responded cryptically, "Having meeting later. Will be in touch." Hmm. Haven't heard back from him. According to the site, there are 556 runner registered for the marathon, with a 600 limit. What's more, this article says the deadline was May 5 (today). I'm not sure what happened. I'm hopeful I'll worm my way in. From the postings on MarathonGuide.com, Wayne seems like a genuinely nice man, and I'm sure we can work something out. Wayne, call me. Let's talk.

Breakfast: orange juice, two bagels, vegetable cream cheese, coffee
Pre-run snack: two bananas, Cliff Bar
Recovery dinner: Enormous ribeye steak, three baked potatoes, soon several beers while watching Oscar de la Hoya and Floyd Mayweather beat the snot out of each other. KT has rightfully called the 20-mile run + baby-size steak + boxing and beer "testosterone night." Word.

20 miles, 2:33:34

No comments: